Learning Resources for Teaching Muslim Children
Check the websites of elementary schools for free spelling lists by grade
Here are some activities to make spelling/vocabulary work
more interesting, meaningful, and varied, insha Allah.
1. Word Sort: sort words according to different categories such as: part of speech, phonogram, etc.
3. Spelling Stairs: start at the bottom, add one letter at a time to complete the word.
a r r o w
a r r o
a r r
4. Write misspelled words several times (5, 10, etc)
5. Dictionary: Look up 1 (or more) word in the dictionary and write the following for it:
The guide words on its page
Part of speech
6. Categorize the words: e.g. part of speech, number of syllable, # of vowels, animals, people, etc.
You can pre-assign categories or have student fit the words into their own categories.
7. Find antonyms for the words
10. Pronunciation: Have student pronounce all the words correctly.
11. Fill in the blank with the correct word
12. Write each word in a sentence. Try to use the grammar skill you are working on in the sentences.
13. Anagrams (How many words can you find in a bigger word?)
14. Brainstorm to find additional words that fit the spelling pattern
15. Proofread a list of words or sentences, or paragraph
16. Meaning match: match words with their correct definition
17. Plurals, write the plurals of nouns
18. Prefixes. Add prefixes to form new words.
19. Suffixes. Add suffixes to form new words.
20. Unscramble sentences
21. Go together, what belongs, what doesn’t? In a list of words which go together.
22. Keep a journal of the misspelled words for review
23. Bingo/Cover Up
24. Tic Tac Toe (Must spell the word correctly to place your X or 0). Draw miscellaneous shapes/letters instead of X's or O's.
25. Ladder Game. Draw a ladder or stairs or other picture. Student must spell each word correctly to move up a rung or stair or pick an apple from a tree. Put a “treat” at the end of the course.
This page last updated:
Friday, October 27, 2006
You are here: Spelling
TJ Language Pages:
© 2006 Talibiddeen Jr.
Talibiddeen Jr. Materials may be freely downloaded/used
for non-commercial, educational purposes only.